Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Best Christmas Book


Well, I know this is a little late, but in case the topic of Christmas has ever fascinated you, this is the best book I (I have only read five books on the topic) have read on Christmas.  I can't believe how ignorant I was about the season I love so much.

For example, did you know....
  • For three centuries Christians did not celebrate Christmas at all (in fact it was banned in England and New England.
  • Dickens, Queen Victoria, and Prince Albert did more for the current development of Christmas than any other force.
  • Roosevelt changed the date of Thanksgiving in order to lengthen the Christmas shopping season.
  • Coca-Cola helped fashion Santa Claus's look in an advertising campaign.

It's a quick read with a great summary of the origin, history, and development of Christmas.  Forbes also has a good chapter at the end of what to do with all the information (i.e. how to respond to Christmas from a Christian's perspective).  The annotated bibliography and index are both gold... worth the price alone.

Every pastor should read this book as it will make them much less ignorant about the traditions and history of the most celebrated time of year.  Buy it here or borrow it from my library.

No comments:

Post a Comment