Sunday, August 19, 2012

Dealing With Loss & Diets


Maybe it was the clouds this morning, but I woke up a bit on the groggy side of life. That quickly changed when I arrived at the church building and the rhythms of Sunday morning began. I think my favourite part about our Sunday gatherings is the hour before. I love watching the music team set-up, teachers race to the copier, the breakfast team make coffee, and folks roll in. It feels intimate, like family, and yet it also feels much bigger than just us.

Chad and the team did an outstanding job leading us in worship today. I loved seeing Nathaniel play bass... I'm still waiting for his uncle to breakout the trombone. Isaac helped organize the chili cook-off after the service and it was a lot of fun. Sadly, the judges were off their game, but other than that, it was fun. I didn't mind losing to Ethel, but losing to a vegetarian chili really hurt.

Thanks to those who served so graciously at the chili cook-off too... from those that made chilis to those that helped set-up and clean-up. Thank you!

Perhaps the highlight of my weekend was hearing a lady from our Church tell me about someone on her MY5 list that gave their heart to Jesus this week. He used to sell drugs, but God got a hold of his life through the prayers of loving people and he is now getting baptized at a church in Langley this week! How cool is that!

Following the cook-off, Angela and the kids headed off to my parents for a week. It's a busy week for me at the College so this helps them forget about my long work hours.

On Friday I started a diet. I am cutting out most carbs and cutting way back on sugar. A part of me would rather die than eat healthy food, but... to live is Christ, to die is gain.  Last night I had spaghetti squash with some tomato sauce and a giant bowl of salad. It was horrible. What I wouldn't give for a piece of garlic bread right now. To make things worse, Angela is gone this week and I would normally live off of fast food while she's away, but that won't work.

I chatted with Aaron at the cook-off as he's been a diet and exercise machine the last couple years. He's set a great example and one day I may be as buff as he.

We had some new neighbours move in across the street. I'm looking forward to meeting them once they've had a couple days to settle in. Sad to see our old neighbours move away... while Angela was going through chemo we would randomly find chocolate bars in our mailbox and we found out after that they were from them! They also kept their yard in perfect shape... which is my love language :)

I'm going to try and tackle my piano re-purposing this week too. Wish me luck!  Isaac will be finishing up painting the lobby at the church building. If anyone wants to help him you can email him (isaac@parksidechurch.ca).

Our Foursquare Kids Camp is this week (Monday-Saturday). Please pray for the campers and leaders. We have a great kids camp program and its all because of dedicated, generous, and servant-hearted leaders. They deserve a medal.

Have a great Monday and remember that no matter what storms come your way, Jesus is standing by you, calling you to take courage, and reminding you of the glory that will come from your suffering for Him.
  





No comments:

Post a Comment