Sunday, September 2, 2012

Summer is Over


Is anyone else glad that summer is over? I love the fall. I like perfect temperature days, crisp evenings, and routine. However, looking into the future, not much about this fall will be routine for us. Ruby starts kindergarten and soccer. Charlie starts "hockey" lessons. Angela's surgery in Calgary will happen most likely on October 12th. And I'm on a not-so-fun diet! All new things for us.

The summer has flown by and as always I make the mistake of setting too many goals. I was supposed to have a bathroom reno done, trim painted, and a number of work projects all wrapped up. Oh well... next summer.

I really enjoyed Isaac's message today. He challenged us by Paul's example in Acts 27 to be people who take our experience and openness to the Spirit's leading so that we might bring hope into real life situations. We also began our Acts Challenge today (www.parksidechurch.ca/acts) and hope that many of our Church family respond.

It was great having Tony back from holidays and leading us in worship. A friend of his ripped it up on bass and the drummer was particularly handsome today (you're welcome, Vince).

I read Acts 1 today and was struck by the humorous picture painted in verses 9-11. So often we spend our time calling out to God, looking to Him, wondering what He's going to do next, but God simply wants us to be obedient with what He's asked us to do right now. Let the rest happen as God determines. I think this might add to some theological truth in the expression, "so heavenly minded that they are of no earthly good."  However, there is also an aspect to that expression that makes it entirely incorrect.

After our service today, we raced home and ate ants-on-a-log then drove into Surrey for some errands for the College. Costco was packed with lazy shoppers. I could write a book about the way in which people become totally detached from their surroundings when they get behind a grocery cart. I bought one of those big sirloins to cut into steaks for a student leadership dinner at the College tomorrow... I can taste it now.

This week will be crazy at the College. It's our Orientation Week which means it's simply one big event after the other. Lots of logistics and a lot of fun. On Saturday we're heading over to the Island for a short trip. My home Church, Northgate Foursquare Church in Courtenay, is having its 75th Anniversary on Sunday and I'm looking forward to being a part of the celebration. I have so many good memories from my 18 years spent growing up in that Church family. Much of who I am today and the love I have for Christ and His Church was founded and shaped in this Church family.

I hope you have a great week as you bring the hope you have in Christ into the real life situations you will face.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment