Sunday, December 11, 2011

Overjoyed by Friends, Family, and The Body


I'm not good at receiving help.  I sometimes refuse help because of pride.  Other times, it's because I like to be in control. Then there are times where I feel like I don't deserve it and there are others that need the help more.  Finally, there are a few times where people want to help and it's something that I really enjoy and so I want it for myself.

God has been using the last few weeks to grow me in receiving help.  In some situations, I have to swallow my pride and simply say 'thank you'.  Other times, I have to learn to simply trust others.  In other situations, I explain that the offer for help isn't needed at this time, but the offer means so much.

I am also learning that if I don't accept offers for help, I rob them of the joy and blessing it is to give.  I'm learning these lessons in new ways.

We have been so blessed by our friends, family, and the body of Christ (the Church).  Here's just a glimpse of what we've experienced to date:
  • Literally hundreds of offers of help in all shapes and sizes.
  • Non-stop meals every day with enough for leftovers for lunch the next day.
  • A freezer that went from being one-third full to overflowing.
  • A constant stream of people letting us know they are thinking of us and praying for us.
  • An extended family that is praying and fasting for Angela on a regular basis.
  • Professional weekly house cleaning given by friends.
  • Amazing love and help for our kids from our families and close friends.
  • .... plus, so much more.
In fact, even as I wrote this we were interrupted by a door bell.  Standing at the door was Chris K. with Angela's favourite dinner... chicken souvlaki from Elleni's.  I think our kids have forgotten that food can be made in the kitchen.  It just "magically" appears each day at our door.

On Friday night, a friend stopped by to let me know that their Church (of a different denomination and town) had heard about our situation and wanted to help our Church in a physical way during this time.  He gave me an envelope and inside was a cheque for $10,000 to bless our Church.  This gift proved to be the last hurdle of a two year process of getting our Church out of debt and operating in the black.

We feel incredibly blessed and look forward to getting back in a position where we can take what we've experienced and be a blessing to others.

Today was a lot of fun.  Our kids sang in the Church service for a mini-Christmas performance, then we had a bake sale, and lots of good connections with others.  Angela's parents came over for lunch and we feasted on all our leftovers.  Ruby and I installed our token string of Christmas lights on the house.  We are tired this evening from everything and will be resting.  I'm sad to miss the Christmas concert tonight.

I hope you have a great week, following Jesus and allowing the joy that comes from the Good News to change the way we live.

5 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and your family every day. "God is able to deliver." This has been a truth that enters my mind often and I claim it for you! Your family is inspiring and shining for Christ in ways you aren't even aware of, I'm sure.
    Much love and blessings in Him,
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family is always on our hearts. We will be praying for you all

    ReplyDelete
  3. We start each day with prayers for you and Angela and we pray special blessings on your children. Tonight we head out with Auntie Cheryl and GG to look at Christmas lights, so blessed to be standing in the Gap in prayer for you and your family. If you need anything or your folks do here on the rock let us know, anything, no request too big or too small. C

    ReplyDelete
  4. New Hope Church in Dieppe, New Brunswick is praying for you!
    "But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

    ReplyDelete