Monday, January 23, 2012

According To Your Ability


You can definitely see a more visible openness to God's Word and His Spirit in our Church family.  As we follow Jesus, taking Him at His Word and stepping out, God is gracing us with renewed desires and opportunities to be used by Him.  It started in our weekly gathering and has begun creeping into our daily lives.  The latter part is what I'm most excited about!  I so desperately desire to see our Church living in the Word and Spirit in our Monday-Saturday life.

Chad (and team) and Dave did a good job yesterday in serving us through their leadership.  I love Sundays where I am ministered to by other trainers and equippers.  Thank you to all who serve as well behind the scenes.  Rob & Vince rocked the A/V.  Diane and team did a great job in loving and leading our kids.  Greg and team serve so faithfully each week in greeting and serving the mechanics of our gathering.  Then the William's and Donna helped out after our service with all the kitchen stuff.  Finally, the Ewert's served as our Elders for the service ministering to our Church family through prayer.  Their service glorifies a God who loves us so much.

We were back in Acts yesterday and the passage was perfect for this exact Sunday.  We read in Acts 11:29 (NIV) "The disciples, each according to his ability, decided to provide help for the brothers living in Judea."  I love that God takes us where we're at and simply expects us to be faithful with what He's given us.  We aren't to create our expectations based on what we've seen or heard from others, we are to simply ask God and then follow.  God is gracious in that His requirements for us are achievable.  We are not expected to be Billy Graham clones, we are expected to respond to His Spirit's leading in our life and what He does with that is up to Him.

This has huge implications and applications for our MY5 journey.  In our prayer and witness to our loved ones that don't yet know Christ, we can respond according to the ability and resources He has entrusted to us.  Dave illustrated this so well on Sunday with his story of the of the stranded girl in the snowstorm (listen here... www.parksideonprentis.ca/index.php/Acts/sermons-in-acts.html).

As we pray this week for those in our life that don't yet know the life and love of Jesus, may we not be focused on what we think we should do about it, but may our hearts be tuned to the Spirit's voice.

In closing this post, I'd like to thank Karin for her courage to share on Sunday both a Scripture and Word from God for our Church.  The Scripture she shared is posted below and the Word can be heard in Dave's sermon (about 33 minutes in).

Jeremiah 1:6-19 (NIV) "Ah, Sovereign LORD," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child." 7 But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD. 9 Then the LORD reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, "Now, I have put my words in your mouth. 10 See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant." 11 The word of the LORD came to me: "What do you see, Jeremiah?" "I see the branch of an almond tree," I replied. 12 The LORD said to me, "You have seen correctly, for I am watching to see that my word is fulfilled." 13 The word of the LORD came to me again: "What do you see?" "I see a boiling pot, tilting away from the north," I answered. 14 The LORD said to me, "From the north disaster will be poured out on all who live in the land. 15 I am about to summon all the peoples of the northern kingdoms," declares the LORD. "Their kings will come and set up their thrones in the entrance of the gates of Jerusalem; they will come against all her surrounding walls and against all the towns of Judah. 16 I will pronounce my judgments on my people because of their wickedness in forsaking me, in burning incense to other gods and in worshiping what their hands have made. 17 "Get yourself ready! Stand up and say to them whatever I command you. Do not be terrified by them, or I will terrify you before them. 18 Today I have made you a fortified city, an iron pillar and a bronze wall to stand against the whole land--against the kings of Judah, its officials, its priests and the people of the land. 19 They will fight against you but will not overcome you, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD."
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment