Friday, March 1, 2013

The Key to Consistency

On my drive into work, I was thinking about Hebrews 13:8 which says, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Pentecostals/charismatics lean on this verse as a part of their emphasis on signs and wonders. I don't disagree with leaning on this verse in this way, but it's foundational for much more of our faith practice.

More often than not God's call on my life is suspended because of worry, fear, shame, selfishness, or apathy. The net result is inconsistency in my following of Christ (my call). I am like a teenager learning to drive standard... Jesus asks me to do something and I don't always follow smoothly. I often stutter. Wrestling with the clutch and gas; wrestling with tension between past, present, and future.

When I live my life solely in the future, I worry and fear about the "what if's". When I live solely in the present it renders me selfish and apathetic. When I live in the past, I stall due to pride and shame.

Consistency happens when I live my life solely in Jesus. He covers (forgives) and redeems (builds on) the past. He challenges (calls my attention to give to others) and encourages (strengthens) me in the present. He takes care of tomorrow (with Jesus, the best is always yet to come).

Furthermore, the reality of faith in Jesus' past, present, and future work also feed off each other... my future in Jesus informs my past and present; my present in Jesus is shaped by my past and future; and my past in Jesus renews my present and future.

I can live a consistent life, because Jesus is consistent. He is the same yesterday and today and forever.

I think life is a journey of trials and mercy designed to correct and affirm our focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment