Thursday, March 8, 2012

Christians & Kony 2012


Facebook is all a buzz about Kony 2012 (watch this video to see what people are buzzing about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc).  The question for us is how should we respond?

It seems to me like a lot of Christians are jumping on the Kony 2012 bandwagon.  At the same time with success comes an onslaught of backlash.  So, before ordering their 'action kit' or slandering Invisible Children (organization behind Kony 2012) we should first research the organization and the project then respond biblically.

If we take Invisible Children at their word (which we should unless otherwise proven), we see that they are primarily concerned about raising awareness in hopes that the populous will pressure political powers to assist local governments in arresting Kony and disarming his army. They are also funding some practical programs to help locals organize and bring restoration to broken communities and people.  Their spending reflects these priorities.  Their own release in response to the backlash helps explain this and other popular thoughts/accusations (read that publication here: http://www.invisiblechildren.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/critiques.html).

So what should the Church do?  As always, we go and make disciples.  Really?  Yes.  If all we did is combat the symptoms of sin, not only would we never get ahead of evil, we'd see both offender and victim spend an eternity in Hell.  That being said, God often leads us to communicate the Good News through acts of kindness (responding to symptoms... bringing social justice).  For example, we will be lead to help a village install a well and then talk about the spring of water welling up to eternal life (Jn. 4).

The next question is how do we 'go and make disciples' in this situation?  The answer is we don't; unless we are invited.  Our Churches need to talk with local Churches in afflicted and surrounding areas so we can discover if assistance is needed, and if so, what type of assistance will be appreciated.  I know of one solid Christian leader in the Congo that is an active missionary and a national (i.e. not looking at things from Western eyes).  He spoke at our Church last year.  My plan is to contact him along with our National and International offices to see what local Churches are requesting in terms of support.

We can pray (often undervalued and under-utilized) for all parties involved and send words of encouragement to local Churches.  Local Churches will hopefully add specifics that we can add to our prayers.  Regarding our response to Kony 2012, local Churches in afflicted areas may say that Kony 2012 is a great thing, a 'couldn't hurt' thing, or a bad thing.  They may also have better organizations to accomplish the saving of many and the ending of Kony's social injustice.  They could also request the sending of resources such as funds for projects, ministry training, curriculum, manpower, etc.  From here we can respond appropriately.

My prayer is that wisdom and discernment would be given to both Churches here and there. My prayer is that the Church in afflicted areas will rise up in boldness to take the Gospel to Kony and his soldiers.  My prayer is that the Church in afflicted areas will rise up with strength to love, comfort, defend, and help the hurting.  My prayer is that hearts would be softened to God and one another.  My prayer is that Christ in us would break our hearts for the lost and the hurting.

To turn up the heat on discussing the big questions this situation raises (we should be discussing them and thinking biblically about every situation)... if the Church backs a war on someone who kills children, what is the Church to do about abortion doctors and policy makers?  Every situation requires a unique response.  Let's turn to Scripture, listen to the Holy Spirit, talk with those involved on the front lines, develop a biblical plan (which might be supporting Kony 2012), and then act.

This is my response to Kony 2012.  And to think that Kony's actions are just a scratch on the surface of a world filled with death and despair.  May I seek the Lord and be obedient to His will.





--------------------------------

Articles for or on the Kony 2012 backlash
http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/invisible-children-in-the-spotlight/article2362416/
http://himawarinochiheisen.xanga.com/759663964/the-lra-ic-updf-and-what-i-think/
http://www.invisiblechildren.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/critiques.html
http://blogs.hbr.org/pallotta/2012/03/the-kony-2012-controversy.html (added 3/14/2012)
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/15/opinion/kristof-viral-video-vicious-warlord.html?_r=1 (added 3/16/2012)

Articles on Christians & War
http://www.summit.org/resources/truth-and-consequences/should-christian-go-to-war/
http://www.touchstonemag.com/archives/article.php?id=16-03-045-f
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/1998/issue58/58h022.html


4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are a pacifist. The Mennonites are pacifists, which is my family's heritage. However, from what I've observed about pacificism, it makes one complacent about doing anything about anything. God commanded his people to go to war many times in the Old Testament. Many times cities and nations were wiped out with God's help. If going to war or standing up for something, like stopping a lunatic from killing innocent children is unbiblical, then I guess you're telling me that God has changed. And that goes against the Foursquare motto: "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today and forever."
    What would you do if someone broke into your home and began beating your children or something else just as bad? Would you just go and make disciples? I hope not. I hope that you would fight with all you're worth to save and protect your family. I want to know what's the difference?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val, thanks for the comments... I love talking about this stuff, because the more we do, the more clearly we can weigh through the lies of our age and see God's ways more clearly (which will then lead to the right action).

    I'm not a pacifist, although I have to acknowledge that I'm grateful for them (even if I believe they are wrong to a certain degree); for their conviction has motivated many significant initiatives of peace. War is often the easier thing (cause it's what our flesh defaults to), when peace (what the Spirit desires) is often more difficult. I know of one mennonite man that was able to stick his neck on the line and mediate between two African tribes at war with one another (for generations) and bring peace... when the easier thing would have been to let them fight it out or bring in the big guns and either kill the agressive ones or coerce them at gunpoint.

    That being said, I believe there is a place for 'just war' and I subscribe to the traditional requirements for just war. Christians need to be known for peace AND justice... because God is known for peace AND justice. I think you interpreted my 'go and make disciples' through the traditional lens (and to a certain degree I veiled my complete definition in an effort to get people thinking priorities before knee-jerk, flesh reaction). I see the going and making disciples as the priority and first motive/response, but the going and making disciples doesn't have to be limited to handing out Bibles and verbally explaining the 'Romans Road'. I find that in most situations, the going and making disciples happens through lots of things like acts of love, acts of service, and, sometimes, through acts of war.

    Our flesh default it to assassinate or imprison Kony, when I think it would be wise to ask God. He may ask someone to risk their life and go to Kony, giving Kony an opportunity to repent and turn himself in... that would be a win-win. Yet at the same time, I don't believe that God is okay with Christians standing idly by while innocent people are slaughtered. Sometimes, bringing justice by war, is the way we go and make disciples... what a witness of God's love and justice to those we rescue and preserve.

    So, I stand by my 'go and make disciples' because it is always with that motive that we are to live and operate. It's application/action in each setting will be different. It is in every situation that I am glad that we have the Word and Spirit of God to guide us.

    At the end of the day, I believe the Church (and God, by association) should be known for love and not selfishness; peace and not war (although there may be some at times); justice and not inaction (refraining from defending the vulnerable).

    Relating back to Kony 2012 campaign, I think the Church here would be wise to talk to the local Church there so we can understand how to bring peace AND justice (ushering a path for making disciples) in the best way possible, rather than simply trusting a YouTube video and going in with guns a-blazing.

    If you have time, I encourage you to read the three short articles I linked at the end of the blog as I found them to be good reads on responding to the pacifist thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went on the Kony 2012 website and read and researched a lot of what they are saying, and they don't want to see Joseph Kony killed. They want him stopped, arrested and brought to justice. That's all. They want the child soldiers and child sex slaves to be brought back to their families. they are working with gov't officials in US and parts of Africa where Kony is doing his damage. Joseph Kony is a bully and he needs to be stopped. A man like that isn't going to listen to someone telling him about the gospel until he is in a place where he is brought down. Besides, he calls his army the 'Lord's Resistance Army'. He is deceived into thinking he's doing work for God????? He forces children to murder their parents and either kill or mutilate other children. He's a monster, and I'm sure is controlled by many demonic forces. I know God can do miracles, and I'm praying and I hope that many will be driven to prayer that he is captured and never allowed to commit such atrocities again. I did read some of them, and as I said read some other good articles. I think what these 3 guys are doing are brave and commendable. It's interesting that when someone actually does reach out and try and help save the world, the backlash they receive, when they could be just sitting around like most guys their age, doing things guys their age do, and not receive any criticism whatsoever.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, I don't think we can ever know when a man is or isn't open to the Gospel. No doubt he is evil and doing evil things. He needs to be stopped and the Church should support his arrest. That arrest is better left however to locals for relational and practical reasons. If locals need outside support then we should give it. I applaud the motives and some of the tactics used by Invisible Children for desiring to see justice and do something about it. I would simply rather take the local Church's advice than a few westerner's advice looking in. I know a missionary that was in Uganda and the local's would roll their eyes every time Invisible Children would roll into town. With that being said, I'm still not against IC's motives to bring justice and raise awareness. I just think before Christians throw their weight behind IC they should stop to analyze if this is the best thing to throw their weight behind. I dont think it is (at this point). I am grateful to IC for raising awareness, but I would rather talk to the Church there first before blindly backing an organization that may not know the local situation very well or may not think with a Christian perspective and submission to God.

    The Church around the world is still experiencing the fall out of 'good men doing something' through the Crusades. I, however, agree that the Church defaults to complacency with lots of talk and little action. I am frustrated with this aspect, perhaps mostly because of the complacency I see in my own life. I hope that our discussions, IC, and other things, will stir the Church to action, hopefully right action.

    I agree with you that the amount of backlash is sad. I suspect it comes more from personal guilt over doing nothing than it does from a sincere objective response. Perhaps its a combination of both. It happens to people all the time when they are successful or do something that is good. Because the people doing good aren't perfect there will always be something to call out. Canadians are really good at this. Christians are really good at this. I am really good at this. I again suspect that the desire to pull down those who are rising is sinful effort to lower the bar so that we can justify our own place of apathy and complacency.

    Thanks for your wisdom. The Church needs to be exploding with people who know God's word, hear His voice, and obey.

    ReplyDelete