Sunday, March 4, 2012

Strange Rite of Passage


In a spontaneous moment of parenting, Angela and I decided that our kids wouldn't be allowed to taste pop or gum until they were five.  It was created as a joke, but then stuck around to become an official rite of passage.  Ruby turned five yesterday and experienced the bubbles of Coke and sweetness of bubble gum.  She enjoyed both.

In addition to this new experience we hosted our first birthday party at McDonald's.  Due to Angela's energy level and the hyper nature of five-year-olds it made for a perfect venue.  We also discovered the beauty of Rhoda.  Rhoda is an elderly lady who works the lobby at the Mission McDonald's and she really knows how to host a birthday party!

Today we gathered with our Church and it was awesome.   I love our Church and I love what God is doing in and through us.  I was encouraged through the conversations I had with a few people at how God is doing His good work.  One reported on a couple family members that are coming to faith in Christ.  Another on a ministry that blends their passion/hobby with people that don't yet know Christ.  And then another with a young man that is seeking to find answers to tough questions so that his faith and his answers would be solid for his friends at school.

Lately, I've been working on living life closer to my priorities and not happen stance.  It has resulted in more exercise, more prayer, more reflection on Scripture, longer conversations with others, and more apologies to my wife.  It has been really good.

I will be around the College this week and then away with some students for a weekend retreat. Catherine is preaching on Sunday from the next part in Acts.  I hope you have a great week, living not by sight, but by faith!

 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment