Friday, April 27, 2012

Live Smarter


I'm getting old.  Up until three years ago I could operate on 4-5 hours of sleep as long as one or two nights of each month I was able to crash for 12-14 hours.  That 4-5 has turned into 6-7 with a desire to crash one night a week for 8-9 hours.  The good news is that I have learned to live and work smarter (albeit, I have much more to learn).  What does living and working smarter look like for me?

I pray more.  Five years ago, I considered any prayer longer than a couple minutes a waste of time. I am now learning the value of communication with God. Prayer renders my actions/work more effective and efficient. Prayer accomplishes things I could never do on my own. Prayer places me in submission to God. Prayer brings me closer to God.

I read the Word more.  I have often fallen into the trap of thinking that Scripture's sole purpose is to provide good doctrine (solid answers to questions about who God is, who man is, and how the two relate).   While systematic theology is a great thing, the Word provides so much more. Through Scripture I am able to hear God speak with crystal clarity.  His Word is engaged by His Spirit and it transforms my head and heart's understanding.  The more I read the Word, the less I am concerned about having perfect answers and the more I am concerned about hearing and knowing God.  In other words, the focus of my reading isn't the text, but hearing and knowing the author of the text.

I see my life differently.  My shared values with the world are becoming less. In a culture that is very much time and production oriented, I am finding myself less concerned about efficiencies and worldly success.  I evaluate my success more on obedience than production. I value the process just as much as the result.  The way this lives out in my life is through relating to people.  It's very easy to rank people based on their ability to help me achieve my objectives. Those that can't help me are written off and those that can are used.  I am more convinced today than ever that God cares more about the grace I extend to others than what they can extend to me.  I can leave production up to Him and work on faithfulness in the moment.  This is perhaps my biggest challenge.  I am a slow work in progress.

I spend more time with less people.  Instead of running around trying to help everyone or be friends with everyone, I am learning to become more focused with my time.  In regards to our Church this plays out in an area the business world calls 'leadership development', but perhaps we can call it what it really is, 'discipleship'.  I'm learning a more complete version of discipleship.  We often stop discipling people once we feel they are pretty stable in their faith and they've stopped doing certain sins.  However, we shouldn't stop discipling someone until they do what we do (reach and disciple others) and until they do it better.  It's the truth behind the old Chinese proverb, "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime."  It's what Jesus did with the disciples.  It's what the apostles did with their disciples.  In the short-term production goes down, but in the long-term it will be awesome.

I am still a rookie in these areas, but feel I've taken some good first steps.  I also have many other areas to grow in as well.  I'm embarrassed that it's taken me this long to begin putting these values into action.  I guess it's better late than never.  I hope that I continue to grow in living and working smarter.  I hope to hear the words, "Well done, good and faithful servant."



1 comment: