Saturday, November 26, 2011

Monday Morning Thoughts


I was deeply encouraged by Scripture this morning...
Isaiah 40:25-31
"To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?" says the Holy One.  Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing.  Why do you say, O Jacob, and complain, O Israel, "My way is hidden from the LORD; my cause is disregarded by my God"?  Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.  He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;  but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

We often try to envision how big God is when our minds can't even come close to perceiving the reality of His eternal nature.  Isaiah tries to put it in perspective in the earlier part of chapter 40, but it still doesn't come close.

I've been learning to a more intimate degree a number of truths about our Saviour and Lord.  At one point, I'd like to expound on them to a greater degree, but for time purposes this morning, I will have to briefly describe them: 1) God is great and He is good... that's all we need to know; 2) My kids and wife are gifts from God, so they are His children and His responsibility... I am simply called to love and lead them as He loves and leads me; 3) The body of Christ (the Church) is a gift from God to help us experience Heaven on Earth; 4) Prayer is more than therapeutic... it is honoured and used by God; 5) One can experience joy and peace through Christ in the middle of a storm; and 6) Moms are good.

To expound a little bit on number three: I'm not going to starve to death.  We had a roast chicken and traditional trimmings on Friday thanks to Stephanie P.  Saturday, Sheila B. dropped off a ton of food including vindaloo, basmati rice, naan bread, and apple pecan cake!  Last night, Elisa brought over a greek dinner that was awesome, plus a ton of other food.  This is getting crazy.

I really enjoyed our gathering yesterday.  I was encouraged by and through our gathering.  I missed not having my family with me, but it was still good.  I would like to thank Val P. and Lynda V. for organizing a time of prayer for me and our family after the service.  Even though I was a bit embarrassed, it was good for me and our family.

We also made the announcement on Sunday that our Church is changing names next week to "Parkside Church".  This honours an agreement we made between Mission Foursquare Church and New Covenant Church back in our merger in 2001. Our Church leadership thought it to be a more friendly, simple, and approachable name.  I hope you like it and that God will use it to bring more people to Him.

I heard the Grey Cup was a good time.  I was picking up my kids from the ferry terminal.  They had a great time, although, I'm not looking forward to re-training our kids.  Every time they go over to my parents they come back with new habits and expectations (like a juice box every hour). :)  My dad usually responds to my complaints with the phrase, "it's payback time!"

I hope you have a good week.  With God the best is always yet to come!





No comments:

Post a Comment