Friday, September 23, 2011

Friday Mashup



I am overwhelmed today.  Lot's on the plate... both good and painful things.  I think there's a reason that I've been drawn to James 1 for the past few weeks... I needed not only to read it, but understand it.  So, today I am practicing 'considering it pure joy' by seeing with eyes of faith the way in which the trials of today are used by God bring about great things for our future.

I believe that our Church is transitioning into a new season that will be filled with more of God's grace and power.  Even though I don't understand how we'll get there and even though I don't feel capable of getting there, I know that God will be faithful work it out... "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." (Philippians 1:6).

I also feel as though the things I am doing in serving as our Church's pastor (under Jesus who is our Pastor) are so fragile and sometimes worry about the what if's.  My flesh response is to run around like a chicken with its head cut off, trying to tie up all the loose ends and shore up weak areas.  I know that I am fool to think that I am the answer to all our loose ends, but I love our Church family so much and believe in our purpose that I don't want anything to hit the floor or anyone to fall through the cracks.  I also know that the heavy lifting is always done by Christ, so I will begin my day on my knees surrendered to Him... trusting that as I put Him first the rest will fall into place.

This season that we are entering is definitely interesting...
  • We are beginning Freedom Sessions and I'm sensing a lot of tension around those wrestling with their decision to go or not to go.  There is a spiritual and flesh battle that is going on in the lives of our Church.  I am praying for clarity and strength for all those in the decision making process.  I am praying for Eugene and Catherine as they lead us in this ministry that they would be strengthened and encouraged.
  • Our Church is hosting an inter-church young adults outreach on Saturday nights in the Youth Centre.  Its design is to help those who made a commitment to Christ in their youth and now struggle with their faith to be encouraged, equipped, and connected.  We'll be starting with the Truth Project series.  Please be in prayer for this ministry and consider helping out: we need help in the area of set-up, food serving, and clean-up.
  • We are entering a pivotal few months in the life of Church where we can either repeat history or embrace with a heart of faith new opportunities to be the Church.  We have some new families metaphorically knocking on our door to see if there's room for them in our family... our willingness to take the awkward hit, initiate and pursue a loving relationship with them, and adjust to the new feel of our Church family is up to us.  My hope is that every "regular" will develop a new relationships with someone else.  My hope is that every "regular" will step out and serve in ways that require faith and not comfort.
  • Our Council will be increasing their involvement in the administration of our Church.  Please pray for them, encourage them, and make it easy for them to support and lead us.
  • Our Elders will be entering a season of greater reflection of where we've been and where we are going.  Please pray for them, encourage them, and make it easy for them to support and lead us.
  • Zain's promotion to Heaven, I am coming to believe, has been very timely.  In some ways I think his life and his death serves to illustrate to me the changing of seasons in our Church.  Zain was a man who would give you the shirt off his back; serve our Church family from sun up to sun down; stand behind you and with you no matter what; and do it all out of a humble love for Christ and His Bride.  John 16:7 comes to mind where Jesus said to his disciples, "It is for your good that I am going away."  Everyone I talk to about Zain says that they are happy for him, but sad for everyone he left behind.  Yet, through eyes of faith, I am beginning to believe that it is actually better for us that Zain is with the Lord... his promotion is not only great for him, but it is great for us.  Jesus knew when He said those words that the only way the disciples would grow and the Kingdom could expand would be if Jesus left and sent the Holy Spirit to empower the disciples to reach the world.  Zain's promotion will be a good thing for us... the hole he left in our Church family now allows for others to experience the joy he had in serving in the many ways that he did.

Ecclesiastes 3: 1-14 (NIV) "1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: 2 a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, 3 a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, 4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, 5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, 6 a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, 7 a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, 8 a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace. 9 What does the worker gain from his toil? 10 I have seen the burden God has laid on men. 11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 12 I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. 13 That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil--this is the gift of God. 14 I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him."

No comments:

Post a Comment