Monday, September 26, 2011

Monday Morning Thoughts


I really needed what God did in and through our gathering yesterday.  I hope it was beneficial to you as well.  Chad lead us in a united time of worship.  Eugene served us so faithfully with announcements :)  I offered some muddled thoughts.  Renee shared some scripture that God laid on her heart... it was appropriate for our gathering, but in hindsight I didn't respond as thoroughly as needed.   Then we simply humbled ourselves before God through prayer.  I trust that God worked in and through us in spite of our/my limitations.

I've been fighting a cold for the last couple days and it hit my head/sinuses yesterday afternoon... good times!  I'm a huge baby when I get sick and Angela is more than gracious.   Having some down time allowed me to read a book by Jim Collins called "Good to Great".  It's a pop-business/leadership book from 2001 that makes some good observations about companies that went from average to leaders in their industry.  I always get a cheeky smile when the world discovers Biblical truth and then claims like it's new or now credible.

Here's what Jim Collins and his research discovered:
  • 10 out of the 11 leaders (CEO's) of great companies weren't hired from outside, but rose from within.
  • Those same leaders weren't charismatic or egocentric, but were humble and exhibited an unwavering will towards to the company's goal.
  • The great companies were not just focused on what they were about, but paid just as much attention to what not to do and what to stop doing.
  • Great companies put the right people in the right spots.
  • Great companies stay focused while cultivating an environment of honesty and not sugar-coating reality.
  • In the great companies, there was a culture of disciplined people resulting in great performance and less bureaucracy.
  • Real and sustainable growth happens from steadfastness, not gimmicks or shortcuts.
I'm taking today off from the College and will hopefully get a bit more rest with the family.  Tonight, I have a meeting with our Church Council... I always look forward to meeting with these men and women and hearing their thoughts and wisdom.

I hope you have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment