Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sunday Afternoon Thoughts


When I pulled up to our parking lot on Sunday morning, I couldn't help but notice the recently weeded garden beds!  It turns out a weeding angel, Kim N., stopped by on Saturday and weeded the front entrance garden beds and the bed alongside the East side of the Church!  Thank you Kim!  When I asked her if she had fun her response was, "I normally don't like weeding, but I put some worship music on and it actually went well."  I couldn't help but think that the tough jobs in life go way better when we do them as an act of worship.

On Friday night we had our College opener and it was really cool (see pictures above).  Things have gotten much better since I was a student there.  Every year the College trains more leaders and gets even better at doing it.  I enjoy being a part of what God does through our Bible College.  You may not know this, but you are huge part of our Bible College too! Our Church gives 1% of our income to the College each month. This goes to help subsidize student's tuition which helps them graduate debt-free and ready for low-paying and/or volunteer positions.

On Saturday, Angela was at a funeral, so I go to watch the kids.  I always feel like I'm a substitute teacher because Angela does so much and I am a foreigner to the mid-day routine.  Even though I love my kids, I really didn't want to spend the day with them because I had so much on my list.  In the end it all worked out... I had fun with the kids and wasn't too worried about what wasn't being done... and I was able to get all the "critical" stuff done. I took the kids to Northridge Foursquare's (Maple Ridge) annual September carnival.  It's a free event they have to bless their neighbourhood and it has been a great outreach to their community.


I thought today's service was good.  I really enjoyed hearing Diane's heart for our kids and seeing all those moving on to new classes this fall.  We rarely give our teachers and helpers enough recognition, yet they have one of the most important responsibilities in our Sunday gatherings.  We'll need to work on this!



Following our gathering, our Elders met to pray, reflect, and plan.  We also ate soup and pie.  It was a good meeting and I am grateful for their love for Jesus and His Church.

I think I'm going to treat myself to a movie tonight although I will pay for it tomorrow... 4:30 comes early.  I get to start my weekly carpooling commute with Isaac to the Bible College tomorrow too.  It will be a busy, but great week.  Once this next weekend is over, things will start to get into routine for the school year.

I hope you have a great week and that you find yourself in many situations where you need the Holy Spirit's power and gifts.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment