Friday, July 29, 2011

Friday Mashup

What did I learn while being a bachelor for seven days?  Other than missing my family, I learned that I like to eat at random times (set meal times are overrated), it's really nice to be able to spread out like a starfish when sleeping, and that clean underwear doesn't magically appear back in my drawer.  I lived off of beans and weiners, honey nut cheerios, toast, pb+j sandwiches, cherry 7-Up (found it in the back of our pantry), chocolate milk, apples, and fast food.  Reading that you'd think that I gained weight over the week, but I actually lost weight (I am calling it the "bachelor diet").

The reason I lost a few pounds wasn't because of my diet, but was due to a little project I took on.  On Sunday, I realized that Angela's birthday is coming up quickly and that I must do something.  So, I thought she'd appreciate a renovation to our ensuite bathroom.  I set a goal of renovating our bathroom in four days for under $300.  Beginning that afternoon I proceeded to demo the bathroom.  Everything went fine until it came time to ripping out the sub-floor (comprised of a gallon of glue that soaked into 3/8" particle board.  Needless to say it came out in clumps.  After seven hours of chiseling, scraping, and using five belts up on my belt sander, the floor was down to the plywood.  It took three days for my index finger and palm to heal from the constant vibration of the metal scraper I used as a chisel.  I realized two days in that I wasn't going to be done by the time Angela got home.  When they got home last night, Angela came home to a present half-wrapped.  The tile is in, but the painting, trim, and other finishing touches are still to be done.  My new goal is to have it done by her actual birthday... and due to some thrifty shopping and clever reuses of old/leftover materials, I should come out under budget.  I'll post before and after pictures when it's all done.

Angela came home last night with a "great" surprise.  Charlie threw up in the car on the way home, so I got the pleasure of washing his clothes, car upholstery, and his car seat, while Angela raced him up to have a bath.  Gotta love that smell.  The whole time I'm cleaning up trying to keep from creating more mess, Ruby regaled me, undaunted, with her great exploits during her time at Nana and Papa's.

Today I am working at the Church, getting ready for Tal & Carmen's wedding tomorrow, our Sunday gathering, and our Waterballoon Volleyball match!  I hope you have a great weekend and that I get to see you Sunday!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment