Saturday, August 20, 2011

Post-it Notes & Fruit


This week was a preview for the next five weeks of my life as things are ramping up at the Bible College for the Fall semester.  What did this week and what will the next five look like?  16 hour days, a gracious wife,  and a smile on my face.  I love this time of year... people are returning from holidays and getting ready for another school year; I get to meet a bunch of new students (many of whom are called to vocational ministry); and the weather is perfect.

Yesterday I golfed for the second time this week (I know that it's a stretch to call that work) at the Foursquare Invitational.  I enjoyed golfing with some good friends and we raised around $4,000 for scholarships and youth camp.

Today I'm working on stuff for our gathering tomorrow.  I'm really looking forward to Rev. Deo coming to share his testimony tomorrow.  Deo is from the DR of Congo where he works with Foursquare and ICM.  His dramatic conversion from Islam to faith in Christ is a great story of God's power to save.  If you're in the area tomorrow make sure you come out at 10:00am to hear him.

In other news, my office was bombarded with post-it notes.  I think it was Jonathan C. and few of his cronies.  My suspicion is still be to be confirmed.

I was reading Hebrews 13 this morning when verse 15 jumped off the page (I think due in part to Dave's message a couple weeks back)... "Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise--the fruit of lips that confess his name."  It made me ask the question, what is the fruit of my lips?  Are my words centred around me or are they centred around the Good News and Work of Jesus?  That then lead me to ask myself the question, if praise for Jesus isn't consuming my speech perhaps I'm spending more time focused on myself then following and relying on Him?  These words were an encouragement to realize again the need to follow Him in every moment... if I do that, praise will come naturally and joyfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment