Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Waking up from Hibernation


After getting called a pumpkin on Sunday, I guess it's not much of a stretch to call me a bear.  I woke up this morning at 4:45am ready to go for the day... this is normal for the fall, but not the summer.  I guess fall is coming early this year and my summer hibernation is over.

One of the reasons I write on this blog is to communicate the reality that being involved in formal/vocational ministry is a lot of fun and that just about anyone can do it.  While there are definitely difficult moments and seasons full of personal and family sacrifice, the joy and privilege that it is to serve in this capacity is simply awesome.  This is the reason that I often write about the personal side of my life and add some reflection about our Church.  This morning, however, I feel the need to communicate more of God's written Word (not just today, but into this new "year").

I was reading Psalm 149 this morning when the phrase 'he crowns the humble with salvation' jumped off the page.  As someone who often errs on the side of self-confidence/pride, I need to be reminded of this daily.  I think know this is the reason why I am often brought to tears in worship on Sundays, in my morning commute, and at random times when the grace of God hits me in a new way.  It is in these moments that I realize the foolishness of my arrogance, self-righteousness, and self-reliance.  It is in these moments that I realize the graciousness of our God.  Grace found in the form of patience, provision, health, family, friends, a Church family, and most importantly, salvation through Jesus Christ.  God has been been so good to me and to think that I often believe that the things which are good in my life are the result of my own doing or good fortune!  This brings me to the second reason for tears... shear gratitude. From gratitude God then moves me to action.  I know that God has blessed me not just so that I might praise Him, but that I might taste the fruit of their fulfillment as the goodness and greatness of our God is experienced in those who cross my path.  God said it best when he said that we are blessed to be a blessing.  My limited experience has taught me that the greatest blessing to me personally doesn't happen when I am blessed, but when I give that blessing away.  The fulfillment and pleasure that comes from seeing God's grace bloom and bless others starts with that place of humility where salvation is found.

If you're feeling confident in your self and self-made this morning, I hope that the power of the cross humbles you and that your confidence is replaced with what Christ has made you (this will render you grateful and not deserving/self-entitled).  If you're feeling beat-up this morning, I hope that you will see that the power of the cross builds/heals you and that your wounds are replaced with the love and hope we have in Christ.

That's what we're about and I guess in some ways, it's kind of like waking up from hibernation.

No comments:

Post a Comment