Friday, May 20, 2011

Camping Hate & Friday Mashup


Love this time of year!  There's a whisper in the air that is filled great expectations of summer.  The sun is out and the temperature is perfect.  If the weather were like this all summer, my productivity would double.  Unfortunately, it will get get hot and I shut down in the heat.

Not only do I not like heat, but I don't like camping.  One of the worst feelings is waking up in a tent that is either damp or baking (if you've ever slept in a tent at Creation in George, WA you know what I mean).  Combine the humidity or heat with a horrible sleeping surface (either a little foamy, blow-up mattress [that always deflates at 4:00am], or nothing) and you've got a "great" start to the day.  To make matters worse, you not only planned for this experience, but you used up holidays/weekends, and you paid for it!

"That's why we got a travel trailer!" You reply proudly.  To which I reply, "Yeah... you paid $5,000 - $50,000 for the honour of having a depreciating trailer park in your driveway for 359 days of the year... sign me up!"

You can obviously tell that I dislike camping.  If you know me well, you also know that I hate lineups and crowds.  That's why I don't understand people that go camping on long weekends.  It's the perfect storm.  That's why this weekend you'll find me smiling from ear to ear... I'll be thinking of those poor suckers who are stuck somewhere between Hope and the Port Mann at 5:00pm this Monday evening.  I'll be thinking of those people with aches in their back.  I'll be thinking of those people who have to spend Monday evening repacking a tent, wiping out coolers, throwing loads of clothes into the washer, and putting cream on their sunburns.  The smart ones will sleep in their own beds this weekend :)

I find a lot of people that love camping, love it because they get to get away from their life... they get to escape.  I don't know about you, but I don't want to escape my life.  My life is ordered by God and I wouldn't trade it for anything... especially camping.

Anyways... today I'm working at the Church office and will mow the lawn (love it!).  Tonight is Canucks!  Tomorrow is yard work and errands!!  Sunday will be Church and puttering.  Monday will be yard work at the Church and then a family dinner.

I hope you have a great weekend.  If you are going camping, I hope you have a great time (I really do) and I admire your ability to consider it pure joy when you bring trials on yourself. :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment