Monday, May 2, 2011

Monday Morning Thoughts


Yesterday was a good gathering.  I really enjoyed our time in worship through music.  I loved hearing about the miraculous healing of an eye. Carmen's testimony was authentic and encouraging.  She hit it out of the park with her song... it should be recorded and shared with the world.  I think that it would be a huge encouragment to millions of people.

Not feeling too hot about my thoughts as I shared them yesterday.  A number of people have given me verbal feedback of how they appreciated the words shared, but I feel I was a bit too harsh at moments.  A sermon should never be a rant and it had flavours of that.   I won't get a chance to hear it again until Friday (it will be posted then) so I'll have to save my final reflection until I hear it again. I've been working on using notes less and spending more time in preparation; perhaps the casualty of less notes (at this point) is accuracy of delivery and therefore fairness to the text and my responsibility.

Following the service I  got to enjoy a great lunch at Mr. Mike's with our Elders.  We have the best Elders in the world.  They are so humble and gracious.  There is no political or religious agenda, just a sincere desire to love and care for others the same way Christ has loved and cared for them.  They are all giants in the faith and I look up to them very much.


On a less serious note, I had a chicken club sandwich at Mr. Mike's and it was awesome.  Everyone seemed to really enjoy their food, so I think I'll have to head back there soon.

Following our Sunday lunch I headed back home to swap car seats (I HATE doing that... my knuckles seem to get cut every time) and pick up the kidlins.  We hopped on the five o'clock ferry and set sail for Campbell River.  I'll be here for a few days with the kids so Angela can have a break from being the world's best mom and our kids can spend some time with their Nana and Papa.  I'll have to watch what I eat because most trips to my parents results in an extra five pounds.

Funny story... as we were waiting to disembark from the ferry, Charlie got that look in his eye and filled his diaper with some ripe smelling poop.  I looked at the vehicle lineup and thought I could change him in time.  So there I was leaning back from the driver's seat, changing his diaper, Ruby freaking out in the background, "Dad!! Poop is going to get everywhere", when the vehicles in front of me start to exit the boat.  I had enough time to wipe his butt clean, but in the process get poop on my thumb.  I launched his bare bum into his seat, wiped the majority of the poop off my thumb, and drove off the boat.  I quickly realized that this particular terminal went right on to a public road, so I had to quickly pull off annoying all the ferry traffic, slap a diaper on Charlie, get both kids buckled, talk Ruby down from here OCD leanings, clean my thumb properly, and merge back into traffic.

I am looking forward to this week.  I hope you are looking forward to yours.  With Christ, the best is always yet to come!  I hope you are 'open for business' this week as you allow the Spirit to lead, empower, and grace you with the gifts and presence that those we come in contact with need so much (Acts 1:8).

 

2 comments:

  1. Man, it takes courage to be yourself in the pulpit! I appreciate your candor even though I haven't yet heard the sermon... I would prefer heartfelt, passionate Bible-based preaching, always delivered with a "this-is-my-take-on-it" humility, rather than a careful,homogenized "no- one-can-fault-me-on-this" sermon. We all have our own limited human perspectives and yet some people tend to expect preachers to have God's perfect perspective (and that's the same as their own, of course...) This dialoguing afterward can be non-threatening and fruitful or it can be critical and destructive. If we all just "play it safe" we miss out on the fullness of God's expression through his church. Your unique angle is necessary. Wouldn't it be cool to create a church climate of safety and respect for each member's understanding of scripture? I think we are on that road. Thanks again for your honesty.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Catherine for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete