Thursday, May 19, 2011

"Monday Morning" Thoughts

I survived!  Both kids are alive after a weekend alone with their dad.  Angela even came home to a clean house!  I was able to vacuum, sweep, clean-up the garage, eat through leftovers (I'm usually a leftover snob), and build a garden bed.  I honestly don't write that to brag, because I am so far from being a perfect Dad or husband.  There is nothing in and of myself that would ever do those things... it's only by the grace of God and and His grace extended through Angela.  So, I brag about the work of the cross in me, as I (slowly) transform into Christ's likeness by His power and grace.

Dairn preached a great sermon yesterday on the grace of God.  It felt like everyone released a collective sigh as Dairn explained the good of the Good News.  The sigh came when He explained that salvation isn't earned, but that it is a gift for anyone who simply dies to self.  When we lay down our life for Christ, we share in His death AND His resurrection!  Even today in our Church and culture it is easy for us to think that we have to do certain things to win God's favour, but His favour is found in and through Jesus (His work, not ours!).  When we get that, it changes how we live.  Our faith no longer becomes burdensome or filled with guilt and shame, but it comes with an amazing freedom and life.  I still don't think the majority of Christians even really believe the Good News, because our actions and attitudes usually say that we are striving to earn His favour.

Yesterday afternoon Ruby and I watched The Wiggles in "Wiggle Bay"... wow, is that ever painful.  Later, I got to go watch the game at Mission Springs with some friends... that was much better.

Sunday ended up much better than it started.  I was up between 2:00am and 4:00am with Charlie (he thought it was 9:00am).  I remember at one point in the night praying, "Lord, you shut the mouths of lions, please shut the mouth of my son."  He was crying up a storm.  At one point I brought him into my bed where he proceeded to poke my face and say, "Hi, dada!" over and over.

This week, I've got a few meetings and will be preparing Sunday's message.  If you didn't create an opportunity to wait on the Spirit this week, please make time to do so this week.  It will be the best use of your time.

1 comment:

  1. The game was fun. Imagine if it was last night's game?? Our hands would've been sore from all the high fives.
    Calvin

    ReplyDelete