Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday Mashup


Warning… I haven't preached in a week and so I'm overflowing with thoughts!

First, I am so glad Spring is here.  As I walk around my yard, I am encouraged by the new growth.  I had one bank of laurels that I thought didn't survive the winter and while parts of them did die, there is new growth!  One of the reasons I like to work in the yard so much is because there are so many life lessons in God's creation.  God lovingly reminds, corrects, and refreshes my soul when I'm in the garden.  As I prune/uproot the things that died in the winter I am reminded of God's pruning (correction/focusing) in my life.  As I see new growth I am encouraged and filled with hope of the new and good things God is doing in my life.  I take what I learn in the winters of my soul and I praise God for the way He uses that time to teach me and bring about new understanding and life.  As I take a step back and admire the beauty that is also appreciated by my neighbours and family, I am reminded of my life's purpose.  It's why this blog is called 'know.grow.sow.'  Every year I get to know Jesus better (fall more in love) and this in turn results in me growing (becoming more healthy/mature… more like Him), and the fruit of that is enjoyed by family and neighbours (sowing).  God gets the glory!

The next thought that has been rattling around inside is the Vancouver riot.  I was so encouraged to see people step up the next day and begin cleaning/rebuilding the City.  That in itself is a powerful story of God's design/purpose of Jesus/Church.  However, a side thought has become my main thought.  It's obvious that people were horrified and ashamed by the actions of a few (even though I would argue that all of us are capable of such darkness, and before Christ, leaned to that side).  People were so horrified and embarrassed that they actually took action.  The thought I had regarding this was that this is what it's like when we spend time with Jesus.  God's presence brings clarity (just as the CTV cameras brought clarity to the riot) and darkness was revealed.  A sense of justice and putting the world to rights rose up within us and moved us to action.  The same happens when I spend time with God, listening, reading His Word, and talking with Him.  I see myself, my family, and my world more clearly and I am horrified by the darkness that I see in me.  I am so horrified, ashamed, and embarrassed that it moves me to action.  My initial action is that of humility, repentance, and gratitude for the grace that has been extended to me in Christ's forgiveness.  The next action is to change my behavior and extend that same grace and light to my world... because I want/get to.  My guess is, that in the busy world we live in, it's even more important for the Church to be spending time with Jesus.  There would be a lot less talk and a lot more action going on.

In other news, I met with Sir Isaac Dagneau this morning.  Our Church received a grant from the federal government to hire a college student for the summer and so we've hired Isaac.  I'm really excited about this opportunity for a few reasons: 1) Isaac has been called to ministry and this has been affirmed by those around him and so this summer will be a good beginning to his development; 2) There are things that have been on my 'to do' list for years that were never high enough in the priority queue to get done and so many of those I can download to Isaac; 3) We've added lots of Summer Sundays to the calendar and so Isaac will be helping with the prep and execution of these; and 4) It helps Isaac save for his next year of Bible College.

I was disappointed about the Canucks loss, but for some reason this one didn't hurt as much as the '94 run.  The more I reflect on the series, the more I realize that Boston was simply a better team.  I went in thinking they weren't going to be a problem.  However, Boston was simply tougher and more consistent in their game.  I think the Canucks learned a good lesson and will be ready for next year :) (provided they put Schneider in and sign a tough Canadian center).

Angela was really nice to me this week (as always), but went out of her way on Wednesday.  For the whole cup run we've either been over at friends/neighbours or they've been over at our house… which is great for the most part, but some nights we had so many people/little kids over that you could barely hear the game (I recognize my selfishness in that statement).  As an early Father's Day present, Angela took the kids to a friend's house (thanks Steph) and I got to watch the game in peace and quiet.  It was a beautiful experience (except for the game).  I even ordered some Chinese food (Prawn Garden's ginger beef is amazing) and it continues to bless me in the form of leftovers even until this day.

This morning I'm in Abbotsford for an oil change and enjoying the ebb and flow of the Tim Horton's line.  I came in at the perfect time (no lineup) and ordered my regular steeped tea double-double.  I also just saw a lady get a Wendy's Chili at 10:00am!  At first I thought that to be weird, but upon second thought, Chili for breakfast would be good.

The rest of the day is organizing logistics for Isaac's new job, getting some stuff ready for Sunday.  On Saturday we're doing some Father's Day stuff and then chores around the house.  I hope to pop down and catch some of the Soapbox Derby (I'd like for our Church to be more involved in this event in the near future).  I think we'll begin by having a boys and girls kart for kids from Sunday School to race in.  We can get them to paint it too.

Sunday is Father's Day.  Catherine will be preaching from Acts.  Looking forward to our gathering!

No comments:

Post a Comment